With the weather getting colder I tend to, like most people, begin to reach for comfort food. I love leek and potato soup, but as cauliflower is one of the trending vegetables, I thought about how I can make this into one of my new favorite cauliflower soup recipes instead.
Best Cauliflower Soup Recipe
Cauliflower is high in protein and is a low starchy vegetable. I find that it helps me to stay full longer than when I have veggies like potatoes, so I am hoping that this recipe will keep me warm, trick me into thinking I have eaten potato and leek soup, and keep me full.
For this recipe and I think it is the best cauliflower soup recipe, I made it in a slow cooker.
- 2 medium onions (you can use leeks instead if you want)
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 pinch of salt and 1 pinch of pepper
- 10 cups of water (I ballpark this. I just make sure that the water level covers all the cauliflower and onion)
- 2 cups of chopped kale
- Chop your onions and the cauliflower. Don’t worry about chopping too finely. The soup will be blended at the end.
- Put the onion and cauliflower into the slow cooker
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and water to the slow cooker and turn the pot on high
- Let the mixture boil for 3 hours and then put the slow cooker on low for at least another 3 hours (until the cauliflower is tender)
- Add the kale and let simmer for at least 30 minutes
- Turn the slow cooker off and blend the soup with an immersion (hand) blender.
That’s it. One of the easiest soup recipes to make and it is so healthy. You can add in any extra herbs that you like for your own take on the soup.
If you don’t like kale, you don’t need to add it. The soup will be even closer to a potato and leek soup taste. I just like the added benefits of fiber, vitamin A & K and the antioxidants with almost zero additional calories.
Let me know if you try it or make your own variation. I know it will be one of your favorite go-to slow cooker soup recipes for the winter.