My green soup recipe tastes so good and it is super healthy. Everyone talks about green juice and how it is so healthy and so good for you. Don’t get me wrong, it is, but sometimes, you just don’t feel like one more green juice.
For example, in the dead of winter, I am not reaching for a nice cold green juice. What I am reaching for is something nice and comforting, but is still healthy, and can keep my diet on track.
Green Soup Recipe for when you can’t take another juice.
This is where green soup comes in for me. It is easy to make, is as healthy (if not healthier) than green juices. OK, maybe not necessarily healthier, but less sugar. A lot of juices tend to be made with fruit which can increase the sugar content more than you realize. If we don’t work off enough of the calories from sugar…well…that turns to fat.
My healthy green soup not only doesn’t have the extra sugar, because it is not a juice, I keep the fiber which helps to satisfy cravings.
Here is the super easy recipe:
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions (chopped)
- 4 heaping tablespoons of minced garlic*
- 10 cups of water**
- 1 large broccoli (head and stem chopped)
- 2 large zucchinis (chopped)
- 1 -2 tablespoons of onion powder
- 1 -2 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 1 -2 tablespoons of black pepper
- 4 cups of spinach
- 4 cups of kale
*This one is kind of up to you. I love the taste of garlic and find it tastes great in this soup, if you aren’t big on garlic in your dishes, you can tone down the amount you use
**A lot of people feel the need to buy vegetable or beef stock, but I find that you don’t really need to, especially with this recipe. If you want, you can
- In a large soup pot heat up the oil on medium-high, once the oil runs easily across the bottom of the pot, add in the onions
- Once the onions are slightly browned (about 3 minutes) add the garlic to the pot for about a minute
- Pour in the water, turn up the heat to high to get the water to boil
- Once the water is boiling add in the chopped broccoli. Again, I use the whole vegetable, stem and all + add in the chopped zucchini
- Once the broccoli and zucchini are in, add your spices (onion, garlic, pepper)
- Let the broccoli and the zucchini boil for about 10 minutes
- Add the kale and the spinach. If the soup appears to not be too thin, add more of the leafy greens. Then turn off the heat
- Once the soup has cooled enough, take a hand blender (immersion blender) and blend the soup until there aren’t any chunks
That’s it. My super easy, super healthy green soup recipe. You can always add other vegetables/ingredients/spices that you like to make it your own.
Let me know if you try and it and love it as much as I do!