My hash browns recipe is simple with very few ingredients.
Not to toot my own horn, but I think they are better than McDonald’s and definitely made with more love. You can control how greasy they are and you know that they haven’t been sitting around waiting to be ordered.
Hash Browns Recipe – Ingredients
All you need is potatoes, garlic, onion, flour, and a bit of olive oil (you can substitute for coconut oil or any other oil you prefer).
- 2 potatoes
- 1 large tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 medium-sized white onion
- 1/4 cup of flour (I use oatmeal flour)
- Oil for frying
- Set the stovetop to medium/high
- Wash and then shred the potatoes. Place the shredded potatoes onto a paper towel to remove some of the water
- Shred the onion and also place on a paper towel
- Mix together the potato, onion, minced garlic, and flour in a large bowl. Make sure you mix the ingredients well. If you don’t, you will find that you can taste and feel the consistency of the four
- Pour the olive oil in a pan and it heat up
- Take roughly the palm of your hand amount of the mixture, place it into the hot pan and press down so that the potato mixture is about half an inch thick. If you let the mixture be too thick, you won’t be able to cook the hash browns easily.
- Let one side of the hash brown cook until brown and then flip and do the same on the other side
That’s it. It’s not too much work or effort for a healthier version of hash browns than buying at a fast food joint or making the pre-packaged version that tends to be loaded with extra salt.
Let me know if you try it or put your own spin and this super simple recipe. I might try this next with cauliflower and maybe add some spinach or kale. What version will you make?