If you don’t like to shampoo your hair too often (many beauty experts say not to shampoo every day), you should look at applying dry shampoo. Not sure what that is or how to dry shampoo? Here is a brief intro to what dry shampooing is all about.
What is Dry Shampoo?
If you are wondering what is dry shampoo? Basically, it is a powder, aerosol, or mousse that you apply to your roots to soak up the grease to make your hair look like you have washed it recently.
Benefits of Dry Shampoo
Dry shampoo allows you to prolong your hair washes. There are many benefits to skipping a few washes:
- You keep more of your natural hair oils which protect and nourish your hair. To really gain the benefit of this, brush your hair at night to distribute the oils from your roots throughout your hair.
- It is a great time saver, especially if you are already in a rush and want to just touch up your hair. One trick if you know you won’t shower the next morning is to apply the shampoo at night. This allows the shampoo to soak up dirt and grease throughout the night, leaving you with hair that is ready to go and with one less step to get ready in the morning.
- It is the perfect after gym helper. Now you can go to the gym in the morning or at lunch or meet friends right after the gym without having to completely redo your hair. You now have one less excuse to get to the gym.
- It is a great money saver. If you can reduce the frequency that you utilize your shampoo and conditioner, you can make it last longer.
- You save on water. We all know that our showers are longer when we need to do our hair. Cut your shower time in half five days a week and you will notice a difference in your bills and be doing something good for the environment
- You can use dry shampoo to build volume in your hair, even if it is freshly washed and dried. Apply the dry shampoo to your roots. Flip your head over and run your fingers through your hair, flip over again and add hairspray. Now your hair will no longer lay flat against your head!
- You can prolong looks like straightening or curling your hair. If you have just flattened your hair, you might want to keep the look for a few days. Dry shampoo will allow you to do that without having to rewash, dry and flatten again. This is also a great way to keep your hair healthy. You can also prolong straight looks by applying dry shampoo before you know you are going get your hair wet. The shampoo can help to soak up the dampness before it turns your hair curly again.
But, how to dry shampoo exactly? One way that you can really help make dry shampooing a money saver is by making the shampoo yourself. Check out some easy recipes and tips for light or dark hair HERE.